Consultant Eye Surgeon
Professor Sunil Shah is a Consultant Ophthalmologist at the Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre at City Hospital and a Honorary Consultant at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- AAO American Academy of Ophthalmology
- ARVO Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- ESCRS European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- ASCRS American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- BSRS British Society for Refractive Surgery
- UKISCRS United Kingdom and Ireland Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- EuCornea European Society of Cornea and Ocular Surface Disease Specialists
- BCLA British Contact Lens Association
- BMA British Medical Association
- MDDUS Medical and Dental Defense Union of Scotland
Professor Shah qualified from the University of London – St. Georges Hospital Medical School in 1987.
September 1992 saw him gain his Fellowship of Royal College of Ophthalmologists (F.R.C.Ophth.) and in October the same year, he became a Fellow Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh (F.R.C.S.(Ed)).
He is an honorary/visiting professor in 3 separate universities in Birmingham, Belfast and Kuala Lumpar.
Professor Sunil Shah specialises in complex corneal and refractive surgery.
He has independently developed the laser eye surgery technique now called LASEK and was the first person to use it in Britain and continues to pioneer this technique.
He is an Examiner for The Fellowship of the British Contact Lens Association and also for the Refractive Assessment of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
Professor Sunil Shah consults on all aspects of general Ophthalmology in both adults and children and also has special interests in:
- Laser eye surgery
- Clear Lens extractions for high glasses prescriptions
- Phakic intraocular lenses
- Cornea and corneal transplants
- Contact lens related problems