Promise and Statistics
Patient safety and care is the highest priority of the consultants, the clinical staff and the administrative team working at The Westbourne Centre.
From the initial telephone call through post-operative care and appointments, we promise your experience at our specialist surgical centre will be positive and comfortable.
Don’t just take our word for it. People who visit The Westbourne Centre have wonderful, positive things to say about us.
Read through the patient stories on our website, or have a search on Google to find other interesting forums and discussions regarding our staff, consultants, procedures and use of local anaesthetic with or without sedation.
Care Quality Commission
As a private day facility, The Westbourne Centre is monitored and regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and regularly receives announced and unannounced inspections.
Following our most recent CQC inspection in November 2016, The Westbourne Centre is delighted to have been rated as 'Good'.
In their report, the inspectors commented:
- Care was delivered in line with national guidance and the outcomes for patients were good when benchmarked.
- Patients could access care when they needed it. Waiting times, delays and cancellations were minimal and appropriately managed.
- Staff treated patients with compassion and their privacy and dignity was maintained. Feedback from patients was consistently positive with few complaints made to the service.
- There was a stable leadership team who were highly regarded by staff. Staff felt supported, valued and proud to work at the Centre.
The full report on the quality of care provided by The Westbourne Centre is available on the CQC website.
IHAS Quality Assurance Mark
The Westbourne Centre belongs to the trade body IHAS, the Independent Healthcare Advisory Service, to keep up on developing codes of practice, standards of care, and industry benchmarks for services.
IHAS membership gives us the opportunity to share knowledge, expertise and experiences with our peers for the common good. We actively support the Treatments You Can Trust (TYCT) agenda.
The Westbourne Centre has been awarded the Cosmetic IHAS Quality Assurance Mark “The sign of safer cosmetic injectable treatments”
- The Westbourne Centre is proud of its minimal infection rates and high percentage infection control audit results. Audits are undertaken in many areas of infection control including hand hygiene, surgical site and environmental.
- We have had NO cases of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) or Clostridium Difficile (C. diff) contracted in the centre since opening our doors in January 2009.
- All surgical patients undergo pre-operative assessment and diagnostics to ensure patient and staff safety.
- The operating theatre follows the World Health Organisation’s 25-point surgical checklist for safe surgery including Time In, Time Out, Sign Out procedures
We have taken part in the annual ‘Patient Led Assessment of the Care Environment’ (PLACE) audit since 2014.
PLACE uses our patients as part of the team assessing how our environment supports patient’s privacy and dignity, food, cleanliness and general building maintenance. It focuses entirely on the care environment and does not cover clinical care provision or how well staff are carrying out their job.
Feedback shows that we score above the national average in all areas, with consistently high scores for cleanliness.
Our clinical team take part in a number of local and national audits in order to measure surgical outcomes. These identify any areas that may need improvement and allow us to review practice where necessary.
The Quality Account is The Westbourne Centre’s annual report to the public and other stakeholders about the quality of the services we provide. It presents our achievements in terms of clinical excellence, effectiveness, safety and patient experience and demonstrates that our managers, clinicians and staff are all committed to providing continuous, evidence based, quality care to those people we treat. It will also show that we regularly scrutinise every service we provide with a view to improving it and ensuring that our patient’s treatment outcomes are the best they can be. It will give a balanced view of what we are good at and what we need to improve on. Our latest Quality Account report can be found here: Quality Account 2021/2022
All of our staff, both clinical and non-clinical, are required to undertake regular training to ensure they are working at the highest possible standard.
Mandatory training includes topics such as safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults; data protection and information security; infection control; health and safety; basic and intermediate life support and customer service.
The Westbourne Centre is housed in a two-story, brick building with a state-of-the-art modern interior in the heart of Edgbaston, Birmingham.
We have invested in infrastructure and technology to create an outstanding operating theatre and three dental surgical suites, comfortable yet functional recovery rooms and consulting rooms, and welcoming reception and waiting areas.
- Free, on-site parking and easily accessible by public transport links click here for our map
- Disabled access through the Centre
- Adults and children over age 3 are able to be treated