Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (Order)
Under the terms of the CMA’s Order, private hospital operators such as Ramsay Health Care must follow certain processes and publish certain information in relation to the clinicians who work at our hospitals. This relates to arrangements with referring clinicians for private patient care only, and do not affect the services we supply to NHS patients. The Order requires private hospital operators to:
- charge referring clinicians for their use of consulting rooms and other services at our hospitals, and to publish information on those charges
- publish details of lower-value (routine) amenities and facilities made available to clinicians
- publish details of specific corporate hospitality events offered to clinicians
- publish details where any referring clinician also holds a part-time position in our hospitals
For details of our charges to referring clinicians in relation to their use of consulting rooms at this Ramsay hospital for private patient treatment, and other charges relating to secretarial and administrative services that may be provided to consultants, please click here.
For details of the routine services and amenities made available to clinicians at this Ramsay hospital, please click here.
For details of corporate hospitality events offered to clinicians at this Ramsay hospital, please click here.
Under Ramsay’s clinical and corporate governance structure, each of our 36 hospitals has a local Medical Advisory Committee (LMAC) which meets regularly. Ramsay also operates a National Medical Advisory Committee (NMAC) of which some Chairs of the LMACs are members.
Ramsay hosted a group conference at a London hotel in December 2017, where 29 representatives of the LMACs and NMAC were invited along with their partners and senior managers from Ramsay. The conference addressed a number of topics including a clinical governance overview. LMAC and NMAC representatives are consultants who provide clinical advice and guidance or other support to our patients and Ramsay. They undertake this role willingly and without payment.
The cost of the conference in respect of attendance by a representative of the LMAC for The Westbourne Centre and their partner (if applicable) was approximately £724.
For any queries, please contact Mehdi Erfan, Head of Legal Services
Charges for consultants for private patient work
The rates that we charge to referring clinicians at this hospital, in respect of higher-value services made available to clinicians for their private patient work, are as follows (all rates are exclusive of VAT where applicable).
Consulting Room Fees
Consulting room rental for private patients (insured and self-pay)
Medical Secretary Fees
Ramsay staffed service in shared office
Routine services and amenities
At Ramsay Health Care, we provide a range of lower-value services and amenities for referring clinicians. The amenities and services provided for consultants may include:
- In-house training in relation to issues of clinical safety (for example, access to e-learning packages for mandatory training requirements, or training in immediate life support skills)
- Routine operational services in relation to patient admission and administration (e.g. billing appointment reminders)
- Free car parking spaces
- Free tea and coffee, or other drinks as available from any dispensing machines at the hospital
- Free or subsidised snacks or food (including, for example, during unsocial hours or at consultant meetings and/or use of our staff restaurant)
- General marketing of consultants, including through content on the hospital website, and through consultant directories and general promotional events (such as open days, GP educational events and general advertising) relating to this hospital.
The CMA Order requires private hospital operators to publish a description of specific corporate hospitality events (such as off-site conferences or annual dinners), together with the cost of providing those events, from 6 April 2015.
We will update this page from time to time throughout the year with details of any such events that are held in relation to this hospital.